Solar Eclipse Information
August 21, 2017
Richmond Hill Middle School is excited for our students and staff to be able to experience this once-in-a-lifetime event. A quality education is essential for all our students, which is the reason we are using this tremendous event as an “intentional teaching” moment. It will provide an unforgettable learning experience for all our students. Listed below is some helpful information about our plans for this exciting event:
- Inside and outside educational activities are planned for this day
- All students will have the opportunity to experience the eclipse outside unless an OPT OUT form is returned
- Any parent/guardian not wanting their child to participate must complete and return the “opt-out” form (form was sent home on 8/15/17 OR form is found on the Bryan County Schools Website under 2017 Solar Eclipse tab)
- Students not returning a signed “opt-out” form will be granted the opportunity to participate
- Absences and early dismissals will be excused
- We are providing each student and teacher a pair of glasses that meet safety regulations
- Dress: We are inviting students and teachers to dress in their “best solar look” or in black!
- School Start Times: We will follow the normally scheduled start times
- School End Times: 30 Minute Delay
- Early Dismissal-
- We kindly ask that early dismissals be made before 2:05 PM
- Dismissal Schedule-
- Car Riders and Shuttle Bus will release @ 3:25 PM
- Early Dismissal-
- Bus Riders will begin release @ 3:30PM
- Students will go outside with their last block teachers beginning at 2:20 PM.
- Partial Eclipse begins around 1:10 p.m.
- Total Eclipse is at 2:46 p.m.
- Your child is welcome to bring a towel to school to sit on outside during this event
- During Extended Learning Time Monday, teachers will review a Solar Eclipse lesson so that students are prepared to safely experience the eclipse.
- Link to Bryan County Schools Solar Eclipse Page.